In today’s episode of TRANSCEND the Podcast, we are joined by a very special guest Kristen G. Roberts. Not only is Kristen an award-winning attorney, but she is also the founder and managing attorney of Trestle Law. Her firm specializes in helping businesses and their owners protect their brands along with other valuable intellectual property. She is highly accomplished in the fields of trademark and copyright law, from both transactional and litigation standpoints, and is dedicated to representing and protecting her clients’ intellectual property interests.
Tuning in, you’ll hear Kristen outline the critical components of intellectual property, namely trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secret. She explains how these elements interact in business and why licensing intellectual property is integral to building a legacy and ensuring long-term earnings. We delve into how the intellectual property of BIPOC has historically been exploited and why it’s still an uphill battle, even with the momentum of the Black Lives Matter movement. Kristen shares her answer to the question ‘IP or LLC, which comes first?’ and outlines why establishing an LLC protects you as an individual. We loved having Kristen on the show to share her wealth of knowledge and expertise.
What You’ll Learn On This Episode:
- [01:38] Introducing today’s guest Kristen G. Roberts
- [03:45] The four key components of Intellectual Property Law: trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secret
- [04:20] How copyright is used to protect anything with a creative element to it
- [05:59] Examples of how companies protect their trademarks
- [07:11] What patents cover and why they are so complex
- [08:21] Why it’s essential to use your time and energy to protect intellectual property
- [10:38] How smaller companies and individuals can use the vertical market to advance in their business
- [11:38] The various ways your IP enable you to make money long-term
- [16:03] Why it’s essential to address intellectual property rights during your contract negotiation
- [18:11] How to license intellectual property and why it’s important
- [22:17] Businesses that have earned a profit from their trademark, despite lacking success in their field
- [24:30] How trademarks are integral to building a legacy
- [28:19] How establishing a Limited Liability Company protects you as an individual
- [33:00] The value of having the correct mindset when you start a business
- [36:36] How entrepreneurship has changed Kristen’s life
- Learn more about the TRANSCEND Community
Connect With Us:
- On Instagram | @ashawilkersonesq
- On Facebook | @ashawilkersonesq
- Connect with Asha on LinkedIn!
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Connect with Kristen:
- Website | trestlelaw.com
- On Instagram | @kristen_roberts_esq
- On Facebook | @trestlelaw
Subscribe & Review TRANSCEND the Podcast
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s episode of TRANSCEND the Podcast!
If our weekly episodes have helped you on your journey to build a sustainable business, please head over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE to the show. We’d also love it if you would leave us a 5-star rating and review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more entrepreneurs just like you!